- 2 whole chicken
- 1/2c olive oil
- 3tsp Rosemary
- 3tsp Thyme + 2 sprigs
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
PREPARING THE CHICKEN:
- Remove the neck and innards from the chicken.
- Clean the chickens under cold running water and pat dry. For a nice crispy skin, do not cover, and let sit out for an hour to warm up making for an even cook.
- Cut out the wishbone for easy carving after cooking.
- Season the cavity generously with salt and pepper and add 2 sprigs of thyme in each.
- Oil the outside of the chicken and under the skin of the breast and legs being very careful not to rip any holes in the skin. We avoid butter because water in it will steam the skin and make it rubbery. If you want the flavor we suggest using clarified butter.
- Truss the chicken either with string or without by cutting a small slit on the lower have of the skin flap under the breast. Poke one leg through the slit and then the other and tuck the wings back behind the bird.
- Season the outside of the chicken with Thyme, Rosemary, Salt and Pepper.
COOKING THE CHICKEN:
- Place the two chickens on top of a roasting rack or vegetables and roast at 325°F with a core set point at 160°F. Place the probe in the thigh tucked in by the breast meat. Be careful not to be touching bone.
- If you are planning on holding the chicken for over 30 minutes use a probe set point of 150°F and a hold of 160°F.