I wanted to come up with a way to add smoked items to bar menus. I have made Smoke Roasted Almonds and love them. The problem is that they aren’t all that interesting. I was talking to someone while bellied up at a bar about cocktails. He was drinking Scotch on the rocks and I was drinking a Manhattan. I explained that I love smoked food but really never cared for the smoky flavor in Scotch. I thought, hey why don’t I try smoking some Makers Mark and make a Manhattan with it. This stuck on my mind for a while. I thought it was a great idea but maybe not the best drink to do it with. I decided I would find away to infuse the ice with smoke so I could try a few cocktails. The best by far was the Bloody Mary, so that’s what I took pictures of.
Adding a smoky flavor to cocktails such as a Bloody Mary separates you as a bar. As the cubes melt, more of the smoky flavor is released into the drink. This encourages you to take your time and enjoy every sip as the drink evolves.
o 5Lb Cubed Ice
o 1c Hickory Wood Chips
PREPARING THE ICE:
- Place the ice in a perforated pan on one of the upper trays.
- Under the perforated pan place a hotel pan to catch the water.
SMOKING THE ICE:
- Smoke the ice for 120 minutes.
- The heat from the smoke will slowly melt the ice into the lower hotel pan.
- As the ice drips it will become infused with smoke flavor.
- Dilute this mixture with fresh water at a ratio of 4 parts clean to 1 part smoked
- Refreeze in trays for cubed ice.
A great Bloody Mary recipe to add this ice to
Serve over Smoked Ice and garnish with the lime, celery stalk, and ground pepper.
This makes such a delicious drink with a very unexpected flavor. This recipe was made with an FWE / Food Warming Equipment Cook and Hold with Smoker